Pages

April 3, 2010

The Day After

At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the
rocks split. The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to
life. They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and
appeared to many people.When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the
earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!"
Matthew 27:51-54

I can't even imagine this scene. Today, I've really been struck by what the day after the crucifixion must have been like. They had just experienced the temple curtain tearing and the earthquake, and let alone seeing people who had died raised to life. The next morning the disciples, Jesus' family, and the people of the city woke up in the wake of all that had happened. Did they think it was a dream? The man who the disciples called Lord and followed ceaselessly was now dead, and due to their hiding, I wonder if they really grasped that He would rise again on the third day. Were they afraid they couldn't go on or that they would be next? Some were mourning; some were rejoicing, as they feared that His power would overthrow their power. Many waited in wonderment as to what would come next. Did they expect the tomb to be empty the next day? Was it silent in the town square? Were marketplaces closed in the calamity?
So often I forget the days before Easter. I skip to the rejoicing and forget that the joy comes in the morning because of what was completed on the cross. May I not forget the wrath that I deserved that Christ bore and the need to mourn over the wickedness of my sin. Joy does come in the morning though, and Christ our Savior is alive!

1 comments:

Adam said...

I cannot tell you how much I can relate to this, Mary. I have been thinking about the day after the crucifixion all day, and it is a moving thing to consider. The one that they called Messiah was dead. What a horrible day that had to have been for them. How terrified they must have been. I cannot even begin to imagine.

And then the whole being broken over sin has also been on my mind. The atonement is such a powerful thing to think about, because I have to realize that not only did Jesus die physically for me, but He also endured the very wrath of God on my behalf.

Praise the Lord that the third day did come though! I think that one of my favorite statements in the Bible is found in Luke 24:5-6 where an angel says, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; He has risen!" Thanks for such an edifying post. Happy Easter, Mary!

Post a Comment