Pages

April 27, 2010

Saraland Waffle House

I've been reading Linchpin by Seth Godin, and will be starting How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie tonight...
Today I asked my CentriKid team three questions:
1. What would you want to do if you knew you couldn't fail?
2. What is something you buy every week?
3. Why did your parents give you your name?
So, two of those three questions are irrelevant, but #2 and a comment from my good friend Daniel Doak reminded me of what "art" really looks like, as well as a lady who has already mastered winning friends and influencing people without even knowing it. Daniel talked about how he goes to Waffle House every single week to buy a meal from Mrs. Delah... he didn't Waffle House, but he said "Mrs. Delah"... I, too, was one who went to see Mrs. Delah frequently to laugh at her stories and enjoy a piece of her strawberry cake after I ate my waffle.

In college, she was someone who loved her job and was talented in the art of relationships. She was a waitress who loved college students. She made us cakes and cookies during the holidays and showed us pictures of her family. She asked us about our family and she is the very reason that we frequented Waffle House late at night. The food wasn't great. The atmosphere was frequently smoky and even a little sketchy, but risking our stomach's happiness, our lungs, and maybe our safety was worth it because we knew Mrs. Delah would be there. She was an artist. She over-delivered. She would have been a good waitress if she had refilled our drinks and brought us our food quickly, but Mrs. Delah wasn't a good waitress...She was wonderful, and her joy and generosity made impact on all who came. Had Mrs. Delah stopped working, I'm pretty sure lots of college students would stop going.
I hope when churches come to camp or when any person comes into contact with me that they leave feeling loved, valued, and totally over-delivered to. May there be a Mrs. Delah in each of your lives...and may you grow to be one as well.
And while we are at it... go ahead and comment answering the three questions. That should be fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Plant a missional, contextual church in the middle of New Orleans

2) Taco Bell- specifically the 5 layer burrito

3) It was a compromise between two names.

Adam said...

1) Be a Denver Bronco (I know, get over it, Adam)

2) I have to side with Will on the Taco Bell 5-Layer Burrito (I introduced him to its awesomeness)

3) I haven't the slightest idea. I am guessing they opened their Bibles and took the first human name that they could find.

Jessica said...

1) I would move across the world to live for a while just to mix things up a bit.
2) I don't really buy a whole lot, but I guess I buy a coffee once a week from a gas station.
3) Well, My name was supposed to be Ashleigh Leanne (Leanne is my mom's middle name), but my parents said I didn't look like an Ashleigh when I was born. So they named me Jessica after my dad; His name is Jesse.

Post a Comment