Pages

September 14, 2010

Blog Fails, Hamster Runs, and Bad Human Habits

It's been a while since the last post. I know, I seem to say that a lot. I can't make any promises because I don't want to fail you guys...but I am going to try to be more consistent in blogging. Hold me accountable. I want to revamp this whole blog deal and at least tell you guys the cool things I learn, mistakes I learn from, and funny stories I experience. So here it is. Blog-- take four million.

So, here's my reading material for the last week. I'm training for a triathalon that is at the end of next month... and in a short word, it's beating me. Now, I won't be giving up that easily... but doing all three in one day is exhausting... absolutely exhilarating... but insanely exhausting.

Tonight was my first endeavor into cycling classes. I loved it. I also love the variety I get with triathalon training. I'm sure you've heard me talk about how much I hate treadmills. It makes me feel like a hamster on a wheel. I hate them, but I can handle them when it's only for a short period after a great swim and bike. Unfortunately, getting into tri-sport training makes me want to be great at it...to compete in an Ironman or something crazy. Maybe one day.
What God has taught me through training:
  • Endurance in my walk with Him. Training is a marathon, not a sprint. Training too much too fast will only lead to injury, not to preparation. It must be done with care over time, and a relationship with the Lord is not something that we can work at once and expect to be filled up for a few weeks, not needing to spend more time with Him. We must give our lives up everyday to follow the God who created the Universe.  
  • To watch those who are great swimmers or great cyclists and imitate their form and drive just like we are called to imitate the example of Christ. 
  • To keep going when I feel like I can't...knowing that it will make me stronger and faster in the future. 
  • Improving means pain and getting rid of "bad human habits" in form. I have quite a few of those in the swimming stint of the race. Correcting form and ripping and stretching muscles has to happen so that I can be stronger. Pruning sport performance is like God as the vinedresser, pruning our lives and getting rid of the sin that has crept into our lives.
Training has been proven profitable...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary, you are training for a triathlon, I think we can give you a pass on not blogging so much. But you are right about walking with God being an endurance thing. I have never been one for endurance; it is my greatest weakness. If I lived during the Medieval Era and was in castle under siege; I would not be able to hold out for more than a day or so. So, thanks for the thoughts; I enjoy reading them.

Jessica Herrell said...

Mary, you're such an encouragement. I love reading not only about how your life is going and what challenges and new discoveries you are conquering/making, but also how Christ is working in your life and how you are being obedient to Him. You are so awesome! Love you!

Emily Echols said...

I love your point about watch those who are great swimmers and imitate them. What a great principal to apply to our walk with Christ. Watch those who are great encouragers, those who are great at sharing their wisdom, those who are great at sharing their faith, and those who are Godly woman and imitate them!

I really enjoy reading your blog!

Adam said...

Just when we thought you couldn't get any cooler, you started training for a triathlon. You really deserve a trophy or something, Mary Carlisle.

Mary Carlisle said...

Adam... I already have a trophy. It lives in my office and may have a guy doing karate on top... a great friend named Adam had it made for me!

Post a Comment